Law office of
Kathleen Flynn

Call today for a
free consultation
  • Not Specified
  • Testimonials

    "A relative of mine, suffering from liver failure, had been going through the normal channels without a lawyer and 2 years passed by with no results. He was referred to Kathleen Flynn by the hospital, an attorney who not only specialized in disability cases but had actually previously worked for the Social Security Administration, and, therefore, understood the complete process. After hiring Ms. Flynn, my relative won his case for disability in a short amount of time. Desperate, I made an appointment to see Ms. Flynn, and, within 2 months, I received my first disability check! It was amazing!"

    — Charles R. Joines
  • RSS New on Our Blog

    • National Minority Mental Health Month July 29, 2016
      During the month of July, we commemorate National Minority Mental Health Awareness Month following the 2008 resolution by Congress. This resolution honors the legacy of Bebe Moore Campbell, an award winning African-American author, journalist, and teacher, who helped to destigmatize how minorities approach mental health issues in their communities. Based upon the 2000 […]
    • Raising Breast Cancer awareness in African-American women February 14, 2016
      At a past fundraiser for the Sisters Network in Atlanta, GA, I learned of the need for breast cancer awareness in the African American community. Breast cancer is the most common cancer amongst all women. cancer/dcpc/data/ women.htm Considering women under age 45, however, the mortality rate of breast cancer is higher for African-Americans than […]
    • Diabetes: How to win a social security disability case before an Adjudicator or ALJ December 10, 2015
      The Social Security Administration (SSA) eliminated Medical Listing 9.08. For complications from diabetes, this listing previously resulted in a finding of disability at step three of the sequential evaluation process for social security disability claims. In fact, effective June 7, 2015, there are no specific endocrine disorder listings anymore for adults. One exception is […]
    • Representatives have a duty to submit all evidence in social security disability cases to the Social Security Administration October 15, 2015
      Beginning in April 2015, the Social Security Administration (SSA) created new internal Hallex regulations requiring representatives to submit all existing evidence related to a client’s mental or physical impairments. In the past, representatives were not required to submit evidence that could adversely impact a client’s case. During hearings held at the Office of Disability Adjudication […]
    • SOCIAL SECURITY’s 80th ANNIVERSARY August 5, 2015
      Marking a Social Security Milestone August 14, 2015 is the 80th anniversary of Social Security. Few Americans working today can remember a time when Social Security wasn’t part of the social fabric of America. Since the Social Security retirement program was enacted under Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1935, it has expanded in important ways. In […]

Surviving Child’s Insurance Benefits (SCIB)

Surviving Child’s Insurance Benefits (SCIB) is also funded by the FICA tax, which is the payroll tax that is paid by employees and employers. SCIB provides financial assistance to children whose parent(s) or grandparent(s) have died. You may be entitled to SCIB if your parent(s) or grandparent(s) worked long enough to have earned sufficient quarters of coverage to be currently or fully insured. The number of years that your parent(s) or grandparent(s) must have worked for you to be eligible for SCIB depends upon the age of your parent(s) or grandparent(s) when he/she died. The maximum number of years that parent or grandparent had to work to be insured is 10 years to earn 40 quarters of coverage.

To qualify for SCIB if you are a child, or, in some cases, an adopted child, a stepchild, grandchild, or step grandchild, you must meet the following requirements:

  1. You are dependent on the insuredThe evidence required to prove your dependency will vary based upon how you are related to the insured.
    1. You may be asked to show that you lived with the insured at one time OR
    2. You received contributions for your support from the insured OR
    3. The insured provided at least one-half of your support.
  2. AND

  3. You are the insured’s natural child by meeting any of the following conditions:
    1. Under the state law where the insured had his permanent residence when he/she died, you could inherit a child’s share of the insured’s personal property if he/she were to die without a will OR
    2. Your mother or father had a ceremony, which would have resulted in a valid marriage between them except for a legal impediment OR
    3. Your mother or father did not marry the insured, but the insured acknowledged in writing that you are his/ her child OR
    4. A court has decreed that the insured is your father or mother or a court ordered that your mother or father contribute to your support because you are his/her child. The acknowledgment, court decree, or court order must have been made or issued before the insured’s death
    5. OR

    6. Your mother or father has not married the insured but you have evidence, other than above, to show that the insured is your natural father or mother. Additionally, you must have evidence to show that the insured was either living with you or contributing to your support when the insured died.
  4. You are unmarried
  5. AND

  6. You are under age 18 OR
  7. You are 18 years or older and qualify for benefits as a full-time student in grade 12 or below as described in 20 CFR 404.367.

Other Benefits